STOP PRESS! Our new project “Keep Them Singers Singing” means that we urgently need more volunteers in our sewing machine workshop in Abergavenny. We hope to send 150 machines to Tanzania in the next 6 weeks . . .
YOUR HELP CAN REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO OUR PARTNERS IN AFRICA
Do you want to make a difference to people in Africa? Do you have some spare time? Are you good with your hands? Would you like to meet new people and learn new skills in a relaxed and fun environment? Our group in Crickhowell is looking for volunteers to take up a number of key roles, to help us to work towards a more equitable sharing of the world’s resources.
At TFSR CYMRU, volunteers are at the very heart of the organisation. We have two aims:
- We collect old and unwanted hand tools and sewing machines from all over the country.
- We clean, repair and sharpen them and send tool kits to grass roots community groups in Africa.
There are loads of ways for you to help us achieve our aims. Here are just a few of the many opportunities we have on offer:
- Tool Collecting
- Tool Refurbishing
- Sewing machine refurbishing
- Promotion of the organisation within the community
- Running traditional crafts workshops at festivals and events
- Helping to run our stalls at events
- Ebay – selling of un-required goods
- Working in our shop
What we can give you:
- Rewarding and satisfying work that is really making a difference to people in Africa
- Opportunities to work with a wide variety of people
- A chance to get out of the house and make new friends in our relaxing workshops
- Opportunities to work with tools and either share your own skills and experience or learn new skills in a safe and informal environment.
- Reasonable volunteer travel expenses will be reimbursed against actual expenditure when provided with a receipt. A simple form for expenses is available for all volunteers.
Our Volunteers Say:
“Working with Tools For Self-Reliance Cymru really makes me feel good about myself”
“I love coming to the workshop. I never had any skills with tools but the supervisors are always around to help. You are never left alone to struggle”
“There is always different things to do here. Sometimes you might be cleaning an axe, other times you might be working at Glastonbury festival. It is challenging but it’s fun”
“It’s great to be here when we get the tools dropped off. It’s like Christmas day, or opening a treasure chest”
Your help can really make a difference to our partners in Africa
Volunteers are always made welcome in our workshop
Simply contact us by clicking here or ring us on 0330 355 0122